Competency and Credentialing
The two pages I have uploaded for you to read.
1. What are the three types of professional credentialing discussed in the text? Briefly describe the distinctions among them.
2. What are some of the arguments for and against professional credentialing?
3. In your first job after graduating from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, your supervisor asks you to lead a therapeutic group. You have never led a group or worked with one, although perhaps you have had some coursework about the use of groups in helping. What options could you suggest to your employer to help you respond to this task in an ethically sound manner? What other steps could you take to ensure that your practice is within your qualifications?
4. Indiana – see this website for all licensed professions: http://www.in.gov/pla/. Click on “Professions” on the left-hand side of the page. Then look around in this website to answer these questions: What are the four professions whose licensure is administered by the Behavioral Health and Human Services Licensing Board? What other major helping profession we have studied in this course is licensed in Indiana, but has a separate licensing board?
5. Read Attributes of a Profession, written by the sociologist Ernest Greenwood in 1957, and the brief introduction to this classic piece of writing. After reading the article, choose a profession that you are interested in or somewhat familiar with– or perhaps something that will become a profession in the future.
* I want to be an addictions counselor*
It may be one of the fields noted in “What are the helping professions?” in the material at the beginning of this course or one that we have studied in previous units. Using what you know about this field, evaluate its development by applying Greenwood’s five indicators of a profession. (You may need to find information from a website of an organization that represents those who practice in this field.) For example, does it have a code of ethics, and how long has this been established? What forms of credentialing are available to those who practice in this field? Is it recognized as an authority in some domain of human life? Does it have a distinct culture? Discuss your findings.
Given what you have learned about this field or practice, where would you place it on the continuum of the professions shown in the introduction for the article?
Are you interested in this answer? Please click on the order button now to have your task completed by professional writers. Your submission will be unique and customized, so that it is totally plagiarism-free.