linux operation system management
1. Create a file named breeds and type in the following information:
echo “Enter the name of a breed of animal”
case $breed in
arabiam|palomino|clydesdale) echo “$breed is a horse”;;
jersey|guernsey|holstein) echo “$breed is a cow”;;
husky|shepherd|setter|labrador) echo “$breed is a dog”;;
siamese|Persian|angora) echo “$breed is a cat”;;
*) echo “$breed is not in our catalog”;;
2. Save and exit the editor
3. Make the file breeds executable
4. Run the program 5 times, and give the output for each:
First try type: husky
Second try type: holstein
Third try type: clydesdale
Fourth try type: angora
Fifth try type: terrier
5. Type the following program into your editor, and then run it.
echo “Use one of the following options:”
echo “d To display the time and date”
echo “p To see what directory you are currently in”
echo “w To see a list of who is online”
echo “Enter your option and hit Enter: \c”
case $option in
*) echo “That was not a valid selection”;;
echo “Good bye”
6. Explain what the program above accomplished:
echo “Type a letter from the Greek alphabet”
case $letter in
Alpha|alpha|ALPHA) echo “$letter is the first letter in the Greek alphabet”;;
Beta|beta|BETA) echo “$letter is the second letter in the Greek alphabet”;;
Gamma|GAMMA|gamma) echo “$letter is the third letter in the Greek alphabet”;;
OMEGA|omega|Omega) echo “$letter is the last letter in the Greek alphabet”;;
*) echo “$letter is not a letter in the Greek alphabet”;;
Explain what the pipe symbol is doing in the above program.
8. Write your own case statement where the user can type the name of a Car Maker, and your program will give a response determined by you. For example:
Question: What Car Maker are you interested in?
User Response: Ford
Program Response: Ford is a good car
Do this for 4 different car makers. Also remember to include a catchall in case the user types in a car maker that does not exist.
9. Using your knowledge of the while loop, take the program from #5, and nest that case statement inside a while loop, so the case statement will keep on running until q is typed. I left spaces below where the parts of the while loop, and the interactivity between the user and the program would go (ex. asking the user to enter a new choice, and allowing for it).
Line 1: # Use a counter
line 2: clear
line 3: “Use one of the following options:”
line 4: echo “d To display the time and date”
line 5: echo “p To see what directory you are currently in”
line 6: echo “w To see a list of who is online”
line 6: echo “ Enter your option and hit Enter: \c”
line 7: read option
line 10: case $option in
line 11: d) echo `date`;;
line 12: p) echo `pwd`;;
line 13: w) echo `who`;;
line 14: *) echo “That was not a valid selection”;;
line 15: esac
line 20: echo “Good Bye”
10. Using the car maker script from number 8, add a while or an until to make it run over and over until the user types Q.
Are you interested in this answer? Please click on the order button now to have your task completed by professional writers. Your submission will be unique and customized, so that it is totally plagiarism-free.