UNDERSTANDING THE THEORETICAL AND PRACTICAL ASPECTS OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN AN ORGANISATION
This assignment provides the student with an understanding of how the effective strategic management of human resources supports the achievement of organisational purposes and provides the skills to apply this understanding in an organisational context.
You are employed in a business consultancy firm as a Junior Consultant. The Senior Consultant asked you to help in formulating a strategic human resource plan for the small sized computer and business training institute that the client is trying to put up.
You are required to submit a report with your recommendation to the Senior Consultant. The report that you will be submitting must contain the following:
Minimum length required for each section is indicated
• Explain the importance of Strategic Human Resource Management to the institute’s success. Highlight the need for medium and long term planning. (150 words) AC 1.1
• Assess the purpose of Strategic Human Resource Management activities in an institute. AC 1.2 and
evaluate how human resource management contributes to the institute’s objectives by aligning
with corporate strategy. (150 words) AC 1.3
This task provides evidence for Learning Outcome 1
• Analyse the business factors including the institute’s internal requirements and external environmental factors that would influence human resource planning. (150 words) AC 2.1
• Assess how can the institute prepare for a rise in student enrolments in the summer months of July and August? (80 words) AC 2.2
• Develop a human resource plan for the institute using SMART targets. No recommended length. A sample template is provided below: AC 2.3
HR Plan Template
Employees Required in Summer July/August
Type of Work Duration # of people Total hours
• Critically evaluate how a human resources plan can contribute to meeting the institute’s objectives. (80 words) AC 2.4
This task provides evidence for Learning Outcome 2
• Explain with examples the purpose of human resource management policies in the Institute and analyse the impact of complying with regulatory requirements on human resource management policies. (150 words) AC 3.1 & 3.2
This task provides evidence for Learning Outcome 3
• Analyse the impact of an institute’s structure and culture on the management of human resources. (150 words) AC 4.1 & 4.2
• Examine how the effectiveness of human resource strategies is monitored in an institute? Identify performance indicators that can be used in monitoring the efficacy of human resource strategies in achieving organisational goals. (150 words) AC 4.3
• Al Mahra Computer and Business Training Centre has a rigid and formal organisational structure. The cultural climate is cold. There is high turnover of staff. Make justified recommendations to improve human resource management in Al Mahra. (80 words) AC 4.4
This task provides evidence for Learning Outcome 4
For AC1.1, learners need to explain the importance of strategic human resource management and the need for adopting both a medium- and long-term perspective in respect of human resource management.
For AC 1.2 and 1.3, learners need to assess the purpose of strategic human resources management and evaluate how it contributes to organisational objectives. The link between corporate strategy and human resource management strategy needs to be made clear to show their interrelationship and how the human resource management strategy supports and contributes to organisational purposes. For AC 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3, a review or case study can be used to examine the importance of strategic human resource management and its role in supporting wider organisational objectives.
For AC2.1, learners need to analyse the business factors that dictate the need to plan human resources by looking internally at the organisation’s requirements, as well as considering the influence of external environmental factors.
For AC2.2, learners need to assess the human resource requirements for a specific organisation in a specific situation. Learners can use their own organisation if appropriate.
For AC 2.3 and 2.4, learners need to develop a human resources plan building on the results of the work completed for AC2.2. The plan needs to be formulated using SMART (specific, achievable, measurable, realistic, and time-based) targets. The plan needs to be critically evaluated to show how it can contribute to the achievement of organisational objectives. For AC 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, evidence needs to be a structured human resources plan.
For AC 3.1 and 3.2, learners need to explain the purpose of human resource management policies in organisations, showing how they comply with legal and regulatory requirements. Organisational policies should be accessible and the implications and impact of the policies on managing the human resource need to drawn out through analysis. The assignment used for AC 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 could be extended to cover AC 3.1 and 3.2.
For AC 4.1 and 4.2, learners need to analyse the impact of organisational structure and culture on human resource management. Structure and culture need to be defined.
For AC4.3, learners need to examine the monitoring of human resource management in relation to contributing to organisational goals. Learners need to identify performance indicators that might be used and how the effectiveness of human resource management can be judged against these indicators.
For AC4.4, learners need to use their work from AC4.3 to recommend improvements to human resource management, supported with justifications based on an analysis of a specific organisation in a specific situation. For AC 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4, evidence can be in the form of a report that results from a review of the impact of structure and culture on human resource management, and from an examination of the effectiveness of human resource management, together with recommendations for improving it.
Guidelines for the Assignment:
? Use standard Arial font size 11.
? Use 1.5 line spacing.
? Have a 2.5 centimetre margin on the left hand side of the page and a 2 centimetre margin on the right hand side.
? Include page numbers.
? Headings: use 16 point Arial Bold for first level headings, and 14 point Arial Bold for second level headings. If a third level heading is required, use 12 point Arial Bold.
? Attach a completed Statement and Confirmation of Own Work to the front of the paper copy of your assignment.
? The first page of your assignment should be a title page, which should also state your name, Edexcel BTEC ID number and the name of the Centre where you are studying.
? Include a table of contents.
? Start each task on a new page and include the question at the top of the page.
? Ensure any diagrams, screen shots, PowerPoint slides, etc fit correctly on the page and are referenced, for example, Fig. 1, Fig. 2, etc.
? Check spelling, grammar and punctuation.
? You should also ensure that you proof read your document, because the above checks do not always pick up every mistake.
? Use accurate Harvard referencing and include a bibliography.
? Ensure you are aware of the word limit for the assignment ( 3000 word limit) and any regulations that apply if you exceed the word limit.
? Include the total word count at the end of the assignment.
All work must be delivered in hard copy and soft copy; all assignments should be properly referenced.
• Armstrong M – Strategic Human resource Management: A Guide to Action, 4th Edition (Kogan Page, 2008) ISBN 0749453753
• Holbeche L – Aligning Human Resources and Business Strategy, 2nd Edition (Butterworth-Heinemann, 2008) ISBN 0750680172
• Saunders M, Millmore M, Lewis P, Thornhill A and Morrow T – Strategic Human Resource Management: Contemporary Issues (Financial Times/Prentice Hall, 2007) ISBN 027368163X
• Armstrong M — A Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice (Kogan Press, 2003) ISBN: 0749441054
• Beardwell I and Holden L — Human Resource Management: A Contemporary Approach (Prentice Hall, 2003) ISBN: 0273679112
• Belbin M — Team Roles at Work (Butterworth-Heinemann, 1996) ISBN: 0750626755
• Bratton J and Gold J — Human Resource Management: Theory and Practice (Palgrave- Macmillan, 2003) ISBN: 0333993268
• Mullins L — Management and Organisational Behaviour (Prentice Hall, 2004) ISBN: 0273688766
• Management Today (Haymarket Business Media)
• People Management (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development)
• Professional Manager (Chartered Management Institute)
• The Economist (The Economist Newspaper Ltd) has articles on human resource
• Related topics from time to time.
• www.businesslink.gov.uk Business Link – information on human resource management policies
• www.managementhelp.org Free management library with links to human resource management articles
• www.acas.org.uk this site contains current ACAS leaflets and publications, advice, training and other employment information
• www.bized.ac.uk learning materials and case studies
• www.cipd.co.uk this site contains information about HR practices and current legislation relating to employment
• www.managers.org.uk website for the Chartered Management Institute
• www.peoplemanagement.co.uk current online magazine of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂